The mission of the historic Grand Theater in Downtown Ellsworth is to enrich the lives of people in Downeast and Eastern Maine by presenting diverse, unique, high-quality programs that provide entertaining, artistic, educational and social experiences.
Our vision is to be the anchor cultural organization for Downeast and Eastern Maine by presenting exciting and diverse programs of highest possible quality including film, music, theater and children’s education. Our commitment to the highest possible quality includes stewardship of the historically significant Grand Theater—a cultural landmark in the center of Ellsworth, Maine. Our profile in the community and region will be marked not only by the quality and breadth of our programs, but also by the inclusive, welcoming and professional environment we create for our members, performing artists, audiences, staff and volunteers. It will be widely known throughout the region that there is always something “great” going on at The Grand. It will be widely felt by all who come in contact with us that The Grand is more than your usual theater, but is a gathering place for meeting friends, forming community and fulfilling the artistic and cultural yearnings within us all.
- To offer high quality programs at affordable prices.
- To be a resource that celebrates the diversity of our world and region.
- To responsibly operate a theater that has adequate resources to fulfill its mission, to provide its staff with a rewarding work environment and adequate wages, and its members and supporters effective stewardship.
- To serve as fiscally responsible stewards of the historic Grand Theater.
- To engage our community through membership, volunteerism: providing opportunities for all to grow.
- To provide a breadth of artistic and cultural experiences that enable residents to experience the familiar and new, the contemporary and classic, the conservative and the edgy.
- To foster an appreciation of the arts and theater in our region’s youth through education and outreach.
- To be inclusive and welcoming, a cultural home for all without regard to demographic, psychographic, cultural, religious, or age differences.
- To be a community anchor that draws visitors to our region and contributes to the community’s social and economic vibrancy.